No really, still here

OK, I’m not doing such a good job of keeping my web site updated, I see 🙂 I’m really going to try and do a better job… honest. In case you’re curious here’s a brief rundown of what’s been going on with me since I last blogged back in April.

You might also recall that I mentioned that I was going to take up golf. This was partly in anticipation of playing my Dad when he came to visit us in mid-May. I was really hoping to beat him, but it wasn’t to be. Though I’ve been reading, practicing and playing every chance I get, I haven’t made a lot of progress in this department. Who knew that hitting a little stationary white ball could be so difficult. I do have a nice new golf bag and shiny new clubs… that hasn’t helped either.

As May came to a close, Alex finished up the first grade and soon will begin second grade. She is a great little reader and busted her butt as the school year wound down to reach 100 points in the accelerated reader program. For this she received a T-Shirt.

On June 1st, Aaron turned 4 years old! My children are growing up so fast. He says he’s ready to go with me to watch the Titans this year and so I think I’ll give him a chance during one of the preseason games. I expect he won’t be quite as intense as my old football partner Rich.

On June 11th we said goodbye to long time neighbors and good friends the Benner’s as they headed to greener pastures in Dallas, Texas 🙁 I understand they are doing well. Sue and Alex talk regularly with Tracy and Ashley. Guys don’t really chat on the phone, so me and Aaron haven’t had much conversation with Rich and Adam 🙂

The very next day was the 2nd annual Layne Reunion at Fall Creek Falls. It was great seeing everyone again and I’m looking forward to next year… however I’m not sure I’m well suited to being the “organizer”. Hopefully someone else will step up next year.

On June 19th, my Uncle Danny Layne passed away after a long illness. He was the oldest of the my maternal grandparents children. Sadly I didn’t know him as well as I would’ve liked. He served in the Korean War and was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

At the end of June I went to WWDC in San Francisco, California. I’d never been to WWDC or San Francisco. It was interesting, but certainly not someplace I’d like to live. Going to visit the Apple campus and meeting some of the people involved in bringing the Macintosh and other Apple technologies to the world was pretty cool.

Tuesday, July 13th was a very stormy night around Nashville. We kept one eye outside and one eye on the weather channel. The winds were howling. I opened the door at one point to look outside and heard a big CRACK and jumped bag inside. When I peaked back out I saw that half of a beautiful Bradford pear had been snapped and lay across our yard. Here’s what I found the next morning. I haven’t decided what to do with the rest of the tree yet, but for now I’m calling it “Eric the Half a Tree”.

On Thursday, July 15th we discovered that Alex’s pet hamster, John, had died sometime that day. Alex was devastated and I got to answer fun questions about death, heaven, etc. John was laid to rest in our back yard in a shoe box. Now Alex wants a ferret… or turtle… or bunny…

Today Susie and I celebrated our 8th anniversary (wow) with the traditional gyro at Pyramids. After vowing to not get each other any gifts, I changed my mind and got her one of those cool new iPods.

And finally, I’ve updated the gallery! I really had to dust the cobwebs off of that thing.

That’s just about everything. Next time I’ll try not to let 3 months go by before posting again. 🙂