Photographer at Large
Yesterday I got an message from someone representing HGTV.com, requesting permission to use one of my photos in a slide show they are creating for that site. I’ve made all of my photos available under the Creative Commons Attribution license so anyone is free to use them however they like, so long as I’m credited. Still, it’s always nice to receive some notice.
Unless I’m contacted, I usually won’t find out that one of my photos is being used somewhere unless I happen to notice an unusual spike in the number of views a photo is getting. That’s what happened when Skype used one of my photos in a blog post last summer.
Of course, now that I’ve completed my Project 365, I’m no longer watching my photo statistics very closely. Nor am I uploading many photos (although I think about dusting of my D40 more and more often). Anyway, I started to wonder where else my photos might be showing up on the interwebs. Here’s a sample of what I found:
- eHow is using my chocolate covered strawberries pic
- They’re also using a picture of my lawn mower.
- Here’s an article about using Craigslist to find a job and a picture of me staring at you through a magnifying glass.
- Andrew Jackson’s tomb in an article about an archaeologist suing The Hermitage.
- My iPhone and a friends Osbourne Executive accompanying an article about checking email.
- Another eHow article and another chocolate covered strawberries pic. eHow loves me. And strawberries.
- My globe pic in an article about lease negotiation.
- A picture of some of my books in an article about Garner, NC.
- Here’s that pic of me and my magnifying glass again. This time in the LA Times. That was a bit of a surprise.
- My emoticon fridge magnets in a bit about gchat emoticons.
- A pic of one of my fortunes in an article on Plagiarism Today (I think it’s kind of funny these guys don’t use their own photos).
- Legacy.com uses my picture of a Predators / Red Wings game for their NHL section. That’s pretty cool.
- This one just turned up yesterday. A picture I took of Jonathan Rentzsch at C4 last year showed up on the Apple Blog with the whole C4 cancellation business.
- A picture of my wife and her new computer in an article about dermatology patients (I’m sure she’ll be thrilled) on Stanford Medicine’s blog.
- A picture of my washer and dryer on examiner.com.
There’s a bunch more, but you get the idea. It’s pretty cool that people like my photos enough to use them like this. If you want to use one of photos, be my guest, I love it! And if you want to let me know you’ll be using one of my photos, that’s even better!